Get your fitness on track the right way
Jan 06, 2021 | Blog
Getting going and back into a routine in January can be hard work, and that’s before you’ve done any actual physical exercise. Us lot here at the centre, really overindulged this Christmas and we’re starting to feel those winter blues creeping in trying to dampen our motivation. So… we’ve had a quiet word with ourselves and given those nasty blues short shrift.
If you’re struggling to find the willpower to get back on your game or to start that New Year’s resolution to be more active, it happens, so don’t sweat about it. We thought we’d share our top do’s and don’ts that might give you the boost you are looking for to kickstart your 2021 fitness journey!
- Start slowly! 2 x 30 minute workouts per week is a good, realistic start. The biggest cause of giving up exercise before you’ve really got started, is going at it too fast or taking on too long sessions early on. Plan for the long term. Make this a sustainable lifestyle change, not a quick fix.
- The old adage ‘you can’t outrun a bad diet’ is very true. Take time to think about your nutrition and diet. Check out our recent blog Small lifestyle changes lead to big results.
- Set realistic goals - Start with something small you could even achieve at home. Our instructors will be happy to help you progress your goals in the Centre whenever you're ready.
- Have fun - pick a form of exercise that you enjoy and you’ll be more likely to stick with it. With our More Fitness live classes and on-demand workouts on the app, you can now try a bit of everything… Zumba, Fitness Conditioning, Yoga, Body Combat, Pilates… all in the comfort of your own home so there is no need to feel self-conscious. You can go wild and really let loose to find your perfect exercise fit.
Tips for success…
- Exercising with a friend can dramatically increase your chances of success. Setting an exercise routine with a friend and catching up over a coffee (or even virtually!) to see how you both did will still work wonders for your motivation.
- If weight loss is your goal, it’s not all about cardio excising. Make sure you include strength training as part of your program which will help your body burn more calories 24/7.
- Don’t expect instant results – if you’re planning to lose weight; 1-2lbs per week is realistic. Plan for the long-term 2lb a week becomes 2 stone over 3 months!
- Don’t make multiple changes at once – changing one thing at a time and making it stick is proven to give you more chance of sticking with it. Our recent blog Small lifestyle changes lead to big results can help you.
- Another old adage, ‘the hardest part of any workout is from the sofa to the front door’. Don’t give in after a hard day at work, make a plan and stick to it. Set the days you are going to work out and plan in sufficient time around your other daily commitments.
- Don’t give up! It takes about 6 months to form a habit, the first 3 months are the hardest. If you can make it past this point, you’re bucking the trend and on to the home straight.
- And finally, don’t compare yourself to others, be the best you. FYI, social media is not a true reflection of life. Great camera angles and soft lighting can make a lame horse look like a stallion… just saying!
Tips for success…
- Don’t binge eat after a workout - you will feel hungry so have a healthy snack to hand to fend off the hunger pang.
- Don’t focus on the amount of weight you’re lifting - the correct technique is far more important to ensure you progress and don’t get hurt in the process.
- Don’t forget… If you haven’t already, make sure you sign up to our FREE More Fitness App today. Shameless plug, we know… Visit app to find out more.